1 unsliced loaf of white bread
50 g/ 2 oz/ ¼ cup unsalted butter
15 ml/1 tbsp thick (heavy) cream
.75 ml/ 1/8 tsp of your favourite mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
Dash of pepper
1. Peel the cucumber and slice as thinly as possible.
2. Lightly salt the slices and leave to drain in a colander, weighed down with a saucer. Leave for about two hours, pressing from time to time to squeeze out the excess moisture.
3. Make the Victorian butter by putting all the ingredients into a bowl and mixing with a fork or spoon. Set aside for use later.
4. Spread the slices of cucumber on a plate and pour over a very thin film of olive oil with a squeeze or two of lemon juice.
5. Thinly slice the bread and spread with the butter.
6. At the last minute make up the sandwiches. Remove the crusts.
7. Cut each sandwich into four and serve.